Station

Uji (Keihan)

宇治

Uji (Keihan)
Wikimedia Commons (see file page for author + license)

Train service

No publicly available departure data for this station.

Location

History

Uji Station opened on 1 June 1913 as the terminus of the Keihan Uji Line on its inauguration day, at Otsukata, Uji, Kyoto. Freight services began on 5 September 1914 and continued from track 3 until the 1960s. On 1 October 1943 the station passed to Keihanshin Express Electric Railway (Hankyū) through corporate merger, and back to today's Keihan Electric Railway on 1 December 1949 when the companies were separated. Track 3 was retired on 29 July 1964 and a programmed-train-control (PTC) system entered service on 28 May 1967. Relocation works for the station began in December 1991 in conjunction with the widening of Kyoto Prefectural Route 7 and the development of a bus terminal; the new station, set back 180 m toward Mimuroto, came into use on 17 June 1995. The new circular building was designed by Hiroyuki Wakabayashi — also the designer of Nankai's Rapi:t — and on 1 October 1996 it became the first private-railway station to win a Good Design Award. The adjoining Keihan Uji Building, housing the station concourse and commercial tenants, opened on 5 August 1997, and the station was selected to the first Best 100 Stations of the Kinki Region on 19 September 2000.

Notes

Uji is the only station on the Keihan network whose name omits the suffix "city" (市) where the station serves the central municipality through which the line passes — the company's standing naming convention is "municipality + 市", and since 2019 (when Yawatashi was renamed Iwashimizu Hachimangū) Uji has been the sole exception.

Sources